I just came to the realization that before I can organize my supplies in a way that works best for me, I need to figure out what that is. In order to do that, I need to clearly define my scrappy goals... so here they are:
1. My main purpose for scrapbooking is to document the everyday moments. It's not just about birthdays and holidays. It's about the Saturday morning cartoons and favorite cereals and variety of personalities that I want to capture. To be able to meet this goal, I need to be better about making lists of pages I want to do and writing down the journalling I want in the moment while I still remember. I also need to get caught up with my photo editing and printing, which of course will eventually lead to the dilemma of photo storage, but I will handle that when I get there.
2. I want to participate more in the manufacturer challenges. To do this, it's best to have my supplies sorted by manufacturer.. so all those Bo Bunny embellishments will be stored with the Bo Bunny papers. All other embellishments will be sorted by embellishment type.
3. I need to make my supplies quick and easy to locate. If Collin ends up in the hospital again for another 2 weeks and I only have a couple minutes to grab supplies, or need to tell someone else what to get, it needs to be easy to find. Of course, this is why I have kits to grab, and photos will need to be specifically labelled, but also my most commonly used supplies (adhesive, scissors, paper trimmer, distressing ink, etc) need to be all together in one little tote to grab and run, then I just need to grab a box of photos and a kit or two then I'm ready to go.
4. I need to make inspiration easier to find. I had a whole shelf filled with old books, magazines, and random notes that I never looked at. I need to go through those magazines, get rid of those books I don't use, and consolidate. Of course, I will have a few magazines that I will always keep like the sketch magazines, but most of them I can rip out the particular articles or pictures that inspire me and get rid of the rest.
5. I want to use my tools more. I need to make it easier to get out the cricut or the big shot so that I can get more use out of them. When planning projects, I always forget about those tools because they are so bulky and difficult to use with my lack of space.
While I do have many other goals for my scrapbooking, these are my main ones that directly impact my organization needs. Today was a busy day so I didn't get any more sorting/purging done, but now that I have an outline of a game plan hopefully it will go a lot smoother from here!